Check back here for our favorite recipes!
BLACK ROCK APPLE SQUARES (PIE)
2 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup butter
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
10 large apples, tart
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup cold chopped butter pieces
1/4 cup milk - (to brush crust)
1 cup crushed cereal flakes (wheat flakes,etc) to spread on bottom crust
optional glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 tsp water or lemon juice
1. Measure flour in to a medium bowl. Cut in butter (as for pie dough) using food processor or fork or your bare hands. Do not fully incorporate butter-leave pea size pieces.
2. Beat egg and 1/4 cup milk together and mix with flour mixture to form a firm dough. Divide into 2 pieces and refrigerate.
3. Preheat oven to 400. Grease and flour a 15 inch jelly roll pan, large baking sheet with sides or 13 x 9inch cake pan.
4. Peel, core and thinly slice apples into a bowl. Mix with sugar and cinnamon.
5. Roll out half the dough to fit the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with cereal flakes to within 1/2 inch of edge.
6. Spoon apple mixture on top of bottom dough (over flakes). Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cold very small butter pieces on top of apples.
7. Roll out remaining dough and place over apples. Seal edges by pinching together. Brush the pastry with a little milk.
8. Bake for 1 hour or until very brown.
*Better check after 45 minutes!
9. Optional: While pastry is still warm, combine glaze ingredients and spread over pastry. (I always omit this).
10. Serve warm or cold. Use more or fewer apples. Add more or less sugar or cereal flakes. It always seems to work.
THIS IS GREAT FOR BREAKFAST THE NEXT DAY! It makes a large pie and serves about 8-10 people.